Mission of the Madison Historical Society
Since the Madison Historical Society was founded in 1917, its mission has been to collect, preserve, and interpret artifacts and information that illustrate Madison’s rich cultural history. In its effort to encourage broad public engagement, the Society fulfills this mission through exhibits, educational programs, publications, and events for all ages.
In celebrating our common past experiences and nurturing a sense of community among the citizens of Madison, the Madison Historical Society recognizes its responsibility to link the past with the present and the future.
We aspire to:
- Make history personal, intimate, and meaningful
- Protect the historic character of Madison by being good stewards of the past
- Celebrate the elements of Madison’s cultural history that create and bind our community
- Enhance the understanding of our town’s past and its connection to the present
- Present public programs that nurture a greater appreciation of history.